Re: Google Summer of Code 2007

From: Petr Tomasek <tomasek_at_etf.cuni.cz>
Date: Thu Feb 22 2007 - 09:39:03 CET

> + Bibliography support

I think abiword should not repeat the error of OO to
create it's own bibliography manager _as_part_ of abiword
itself, but rather develop general framework for
any sort of indexing engines to be plugged into abiword.

Just like in TeX one does indices, bibliography, TOC, etc
usign simple mechanism, where a] items are fisrt exported
into external file, b] external program is launched, that
creates indices and/or nicefies the items, c] in the next
stage this is imported back into TeX.

I think something similar should be possible as plugins
for abiword, allowing 3rd parties to plug their bibliography
managers etc. into abiword.

BTW, as part of my master thesis on biblical aramaic (which
I wrote in TeX) I needed to create an index of biblical citations.
Those have special syntax so I could't have used the default
indexer for TeX, but creating my own external program
and "plugin" it into TeX was quite straightforward and easy.
I would wish, Abiword has the same possibility.

Petr Tomasek

--
Petr Tomasek <http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek>