Re: Would you like to collaborate on grammar and style checking?

From: Dominic Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jan 03 2007 - 14:38:17 CET

Hi Jacob,

> Currently I'm in the middle of porting kspell to use Enchant
> exclusively rather than as a plugin. We won't have separate spelling
> plugins in KDE4, just Enchant.

This is great news. I was a little saddened when I saw that ZRusin
essentially forked Enchant to create KSpell2.

> The is one aspect of Enchant that needs to change before we can fully
> adopt it. The location of the "enchant.ordering" file needs to be in a
> standard location (appropriate for the platform) and we need some way
> to know where it is located. We also need the option to use an
> explicit file given with an absolute system path. This will enable us
> to have GUI configure Enchant settings in a predictable manner.

We can make that happen. Propose something either in plaintext or a
patch, and I'll happily review it.

> I've also come to the conclusion that we need another unified
> architecture, similar to Enchant for grammar and style/usage/diction
> checking. There seems to be little distinction between grammar errors,
> style errors or even potential semantic errors (i.e catching common
> errors such as "bed attitude" and suggesting s/bed/bad/ ) in the
> various tools available to do such checking. The justification for
> such a framework is the same as Enchant, to provide a unified
> interface for the various tools available.

I've thought the same as well, but unfortunately I haven't had the
time to work on it. Also, there are a lot of Free spell checkers out
there, but a dearth of Free grammar checkers, even for English.

Best,

Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums.