Silly monkeys [Re: ATTN: AbiWord 2.5.0 released]

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Mon Jan 15 2007 - 21:10:07 CET

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007, J.M. Maurer wrote:

> The AbiWord team is very proud to announce AbiWord v2.5.0, the first
> snapshot of the development that will lead to AbiWord 2.6.

> New features of this release include (amongst others):

> * Support for the Bonobo component framework has been deprecated (Unix
> platforms)

> * Experimental AbiWord GTK+ widget, with accompanying Python bindings

Would I be correct in saying that this will be superceded (sort of) by all
the work which has gone into abi widget or are they much more different
than that?

Just generally interested to know, always wonder why this feature didn't
get more attention and praise than it did. I'd be interested if anyone is
still using the Bonobo component, perhaps for previews in Evolution but
with so few distributions including abiword by default I'd be surprised if
there were any at all. It is a shame the embedded abiword never quite
caught on (and if I recall correctly the Mozilla embedding used by OEone
didn't even use Bonobo, taking a simpler approach instead).

Congratulations on the release, great to see Abiword and OLPC working so
well together.

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/