Re: Footnote type

From: Tomas Frydrych <tf_at_o-hand.com>
Date: Wed Mar 14 2007 - 09:54:31 CET

Teus Benschop wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In our printed publications it is common to have two types of footnotes,
> rather than one type only. The first type is called a "footnote", and
> usually is numbered 1, 2, 3, .... The other type is called a
> "crossreference", and usually is numbered a, b, c, .... Both of them
> occur at the bottom of each page, and a mix of them can be found on one
> page.
>
> Libabiword now supports one type of footnote. Is it a lot of work to
> have it support two types? If it is not too difficult I could make a
> try. Any pointers as to what parts of the code need to be changed are
> welcomed. I am not referring to code to have this functionality exposed
> in the menu, only that the library supports it, and that there is a
> method that can be invoked to insert a "crossreference".
>
> Are there any workarounds to have the current library recognized two
> types of footnotes?

Not really.

Basically, you need to add a crossreferrence strux to piecetable
(text/pt) and a correspoinding layout class the layout engine
(text/fmt); this should be the easy bit, as both of these will be
footnote subclasses and will need minimal new code. Where it might get
trickier is in adjusting the code that lays out footnotes on page (I
assume you do not want the crossreferences and the footnotes mixed, but
rather grouped together).

You will also need to change UI at relevant places, plus have some
mechanism to ensure that the footnote and crossreferrence numbering
styles do not collide.

Tomas