Re: Building and packaging for Windows

From: Robert Staudinger <robert.staudinger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Oct 31 2007 - 07:43:17 CET

On 10/31/07, Andrew Smith <asmith15@littlesvr.ca> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am the author of ISO Master ( http://littlesvr.ca/isomaster/ ). It's a
> simple GTK application. I'd like to make a Windows version. If possible,
> without porting the GUI to Win32. I managed to compile ISO Master on
> Windows using cygwin, but I don't see how I could distribute it without
> a cygwin prerequisite.
>
> Could someone please explain how Abiword is compiled for Windows? And
> how it's packaged so that it doesn't require GTK or anything else that's
> not already in a Windows box?

Hi Andrew,

There seems to be a misunderstanding. AbiWord for Win32 doesn't use
the gtk toolkit at all, it has a native GUI. If you would like to
follow that approach you'd very well have to port your user interface.

There are of course applications, like Pidgin and Inkscape that use
gtk on windows. I'd recommend looking at how they are being packaged.
Most of those seem to use the MingW toolchain these days instead of
Cygwin, though.

HTH,
Rob