Re: [Patch] LaTeX: export TOC and endnotes

From: Xun Sun <xun.sun.cn_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Apr 01 2008 - 15:10:57 CEST

Hi Dom,
Thanks for reviewing my patch.

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 8:15 PM, Dominic Lachowicz
<domlachowicz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Xun,
>
> Regarding your comment here:
>
> + /* TODO: Decice whether it is necessary to include the endnotes package
> + * after the whole document is parsed. This is doable if we can extend
> + * the interface of IE_Exp_LaTeX by a method that can insert text at the
> + * beginning of the stream.
> + */
>
> It's perfectly ok to scan the document more than once, using
> "analysis" listeners. In this case, you could create a listener that
> records whether the document has any endnotes. Store that value in a
> boolean, and then query that when you're emitting LaTeX.
>
> What's the problem with always doing "usepackage endnotes" though?

The problem that concerned me is that endnotes may not be included in
every LaTeX system, although my experience is only with fully-featured
LaTeX systems.

When the document does not contain an endnote, the package is of
course not necessary, and including it is therefore not optimal. This
is also true for packages such as multirow (for complex tables) and
some others maybe.

On the other hand, the dynamic feature I'm proposing does not deserve
the effort of the two-pass analysis you proposed. It this happens to
be the only option, I guess I would give up...

--
Thanks & regards
Xun Sun