Re: rfc - renaming of OpenXML plugin

From: Alan Horkan <horkana_at_maths.tcd.ie>
Date: Mon Apr 07 2008 - 13:29:03 CEST

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Robert Staudinger wrote:

> Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 10:11:55 +0200
> From: Robert Staudinger <robert.staudinger@gmail.com>
> To: abiword-dev <abiword-dev@abisource.com>
> Subject: rfc - renaming of OpenXML plugin
>

> Hi,
>
> we've been briefly discussing renaming the OpenXML plugin to something
> else, you know, to get rid of subtle suggestions about openness and
> xml of the current name.
>
> Obvious candidates are "ooxml", "oxml" and "oox". I'm proposing to use
> "oxml" because most of the source files are prefixed "OXML_" already.

Ignoring the implementation for a minute but in this case isn't the most
important descriptive word for users "Microsoft" that followed by OOXML or
DocX or any other of the practically meaningless acronyms might work just
as well and be even clearer to users what it is for.

Guess it depends where you are considering showing this newly revised
description (I was thinking primarily of the Save dialog within Abiword).

--
Alan