Re: Plugin RFC

From: Dominic Lachowicz <domlachowicz_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 19:52:09 CEST

> > Another benefit of this *may* be that we won't run into those "plugin
> > conflict" problems on Windows, where we can't load both plugin A and
> > plugin B at the same time. Again, this is speculation.
>
> I'd rather see the issue properly analyzed, instead of "hoping it gets
> away after some random changes".

That's not what I meant, and I apologize for the confusion.

With the "statically link plugins" feature we now have, it's possible
to statically link in all plugins to the executable. Now, if 2 or more
of the static "plugins" share symbols (which is why they fail to load
at runtime), AbiWord.exe will fail to link. The linker will report
which symbols are multiply defined and in which files those symbols
are defined. It's not a random change, nor is the fix a "hope" - you
need to do something in order to fix the problem. The benefit is that
the linker will tell you where you screwed up.

For example, Rob just turned this on and found an issue with
"CreateChildProcess" being defined in both the Gimp and the Paint
plugins. I'm hopeful that we'll uncover more of this and resolve the
"can't load plugin X with plugin Y" issues.

Dom