Re: Fwd: Smart quotes patch

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Tue Feb 05 2008 - 18:12:43 CET

Bobby Weinmann wrote:
> Sorry - I originally replied just to Tomas.
>
> I did not test undo/redo. I didn't know about it, but I can take a
> look. While I am a developer, I am a complete newbie to the Abiword
> codebase.
>
> If, in theory, the developers are not averse to supporting smart
> quotes, I will work on it.
>
> I don't know how much I can do for localization, since I don't know
> their rules. I don't know why that would be a problem for English
> support? The GUI I provided allows you to turn it off, so you'd have
> the same functionality as it exists today. This could even be the
> default, but at least English users _could_ have smart quotes.
>
> Smart quotes are implemented in terms of a function
> considerSmartQuoteCandidateAt() which could be overridden by different
> languages to provide their own rules. I will, time permitting, google
> the rules for the languages I can at least recognize: Hebrew, French,
> Spanish, German and Arabic. If I can't support all languages, are you
> not interested in any?

I can't speak for all the developers, but for instance, the grammar
parser plugin disables itself when text is marked in a language that we
don't have a parser for (right now, everything but English.) I'd
imagine that the best chances of a useful enhancement tries to do the
"right thing" and also the thing the user expects to happen (hence why
there's no autocorrect).

This is a good discussion - thanks for contributing! (I haven't had a
chance to look at the patch yet, but I have been following the list
closely.)

Ryan
> In closing, I'd just like to say that I have long been impressed with
> Abiword. It was the first Linux Word Processor I could type Hebrew
> in.
>
> Thanks,
> Bobby

<snip>