Re: RFC: Single Windows Installer

From: John T. Haller <abiword_at_johnhaller.com>
Date: Tue Jun 10 2008 - 08:13:05 CEST

Ryan Pavlik wrote:
> Hey folks! I've been meaning to unify our three Windows installers into
> a single one for quite some time, and AbiSource Corporation B.V.
> recently provided a kick in the pants for me to do so. As you can see
> in my last couple commits, I now have all the installer bits to package
> the plugins in the main installer. I have not made this the default,
> however, as I wanted to just make sure everyone's opinion was being heard.
>
> I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out - we can now specify a default
> set of plugins, so if a user just keeps pounding the next button in the
> main Abi installer, they automatically get the ODT, WPD, OOXML plugins
> and a few more that are useful to the general populace and reasonably
> well-behaved. This is similar to common packaging on Linux, including a
> clump of plugins if not all of them.

Ryan,

One downside would be if the plugins need updating when AbiWord doesn't.
  I don't know if that happens with AbiWord much but I know it does with
other open source projects I've worked with.

Also, I'd suggest keeping a plugins-only download available in addition
to the main installer as otherwise AbiWord Portable users wouldn't be
able to download and install additional plugins. There are quite a few
users of the portable package out there as we just passed 1 million
downloads of AbiWord Portable and version 2.6.3 is bundled in the
current PortableApps.com Suite Light package.

Kind Regards,
John