Re: ATTN: abiword 2.6.0 tagged and uploaded

From: J.M. Maurer <uwog_at_uwog.net>
Date: Wed Mar 19 2008 - 16:21:21 CET

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 00:23 +0100, J.M. Maurer wrote:
> Waaaaaaaaaaaaay overdue, but better late than never: I've just tagged
> and uploaded 2.6.0 tarballs to:
>
> http://abisource.com/downloads/abiword/2.6.0/source/
>
> I'll come up with a release notes proposal tomorrow, which everyone can
> then extend with his/her favorite changes, anecdotes, love stories, etc.

Please improve on this list:

# A new Pango based renderer for Unix platforms, greatly improving
support for languages such as Thai and Arabic
# Ability to open files on remote shares, ie. samba, ftp or ssh shares
(Unix platforms)
# Improved the build system to be more standards conformant (for
example, "make dist" and "make distcheck" now work)
# Experimental AbiWord GTK+ widget, with accompanying Python bindings
# Various toolbar improvements, most notably the improvements to make
them work better on small screens (Unix platforms)
# A massive amount of work on all of our popular import and export
filters, most notably the OpenDocument filter
# A new experimental collaboration plugin, allowing users to
collaboratively work on the same document in real-time. There are
currently 3 communication backends supported: an XMPP based one (only
available on Unix systems, and it could use some love), a pure TCP/IP
based one and one that integrates with the One Laptop Per Child Sugar
interface. Please note that we consider this collaboration feature
experimental, as it hasn't seen a lot of testing outside the One Laptop
Per Child deployments. Also, we are not sure yet that we won't need to
make slight protocol changes to accommodate some new features. This
means that the current version of the plugin might not be able to
communicate with future versions of the plugin.
# A new GNOME Office integration plugin, replacing the old GNOME Office
Charting plugin (Unix platforms)
# Improved command line handling, allowing input from standard input,
and output to be directed to standard output (examples here).
# Improved printing from the command line, deprecating our previously
used custom postscript driver
# Lots of updates to our translations
# Various drag & drop and clipboard handling improvements
# Improved modularisations for resource constrained devices, such as
optional printing and spelling support
# Improved support for running AbiWord in non-UI mode (sometimes also
referred to as "server" mode, as offered by the AbiCommand plugin); most
notably the requirement for an X server on Unix systems has been
removed.
# Automatic font substitution using fontconfig when a specific font is
not available (Unix platforms)
# Lots of small fixes in our GTK+ frontend, such as fixing those pesky
tooltips that just wouldn't go away (Unix platforms)
# The addition of a new experimental OpenXML import filter
# Improved start-up time on Windows systems
# Support for native Windows Vista menus
# Allow dragging and dropping images in and out of AbiWord (Unix
platforms)
# Fast image previews in the Image dialog, even for huge images (Unix
platforms)

Marc