Re: Congratulations to our GSoC students!

From: Ryan Pavlik <abiryan_at_ryand.net>
Date: Fri May 02 2008 - 18:43:50 CEST

Dominic Lachowicz wrote:
> 4. Rethinking Styles by Ryan Pavlik (mentor: Hubert Figuiere)
> I propose to redesign styles-related interfaces (primarily the Stylist
> and the Create/Modify Styles dialogs) based on a usability-tested
> design and considering that styles also offer a way for users to
> structure their document.
>
> Ryan is a student enrolled at St. Norbert College, De Pere, WI,
> pursuing a bachelor's (4-year) degree in computer science, math, and
> Spanish. He's currently chilling in Spain doing a "study abroad"
> program. He's a long-standing member of the AbiWord community and
> all-around hoopy frood.

Wow, thanks for the nice introduction! (I always wanted to be a hoopy
frood, and I do have a nice plush towel...) I'm looking forward to my
project this summer, which should hopefully turn Styles from arcane
magic into a useful tool in document creation, with of course the
obligatory side benefits of working on AbiWord full time (fixing that
which annoys me and prettying up our packages a bit more hopefully).

I'm also really looking forward to seeing the progress of the other
students. If you have a blog (and I recommend it - at least have a
development blog on wordpress.com or something), make sure to let
someone (like the list) know about it so we can get you on
http://planet.abisource.com/ I'll be posting there, of course. (Oh,
and get a hackergotchi if you can/want to: look on wikipedia for more info)

Happy hacking!

Ryan

--
Ryan Pavlik