enchant glib version requirements

From: J Dietrich <jdietrich_at_discordant.org>
Date: Tue May 20 2008 - 18:02:36 CEST

I'm a bit confused about the intentions of enchant developers inre:
glib version requirements.

Currently, http://www.abisource.com/projects/enchant/ states that
"Internally, Enchant only requires Glib-2.0. This was done for
pragmatic reasons - it's simply easier to use a portability library
that handles modules, lists, etc... than writing one's own copy", and
goes on to state that patches to remove it would be welcome, etc.

Consistent with that attitude of 'reluctant dependency' is e.g. r22320
on April 2 '08, commented "g_hash_table_get_keys only exists for glib
>= 2.14. we don't want to require something that recent, so emulate it
on older systems".

... but many months before that commit (November 16, '07), in r22309 :
"since we now use g_fopen, bump glib version requirement to >= 2.6" -
and it does alter configure.in to require 2.6. This is in response to
r22307 using g_fopen in pwl.c and enchant.c.

I'm on Solaris 10 (sparc), with the usual slightly bastardized
GNU/sunfreeware toolchain required to actually get things done on that
platform, but can't easily use 2.6. 2.14.1 is the latest pre-packaged
version @ sunfreeware for sol10sparc, and I'm pretty hesitant to
compile + install 2.6+ by hand just for enchant - particularly given
that I can successfully compile rather more involved software, like
the latest mono, without it.

So, for the moment I've fallen back on enchant 1.3.0 (and dug up the
matching pyenchant) to get things working.

I'm not terribly familiar with glib - have later changes further
locked the enchant codebase into requiring glib >= 2.6? If not, or if
it is all relatively simple 1:1 cases as with g_fopen, I can certainly
patch the enchant code. But IMO it would be preferable if the 2.6
requirement wasn't present at all, it makes things more difficult in
the retrograde world of pre-OpenSolaris Solaris.