Re: the work on the new documentation

From: Alexander van Loon <svloon_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Mon Sep 08 2008 - 22:00:12 CEST

I didn't notice your offer to help, I just subscribed to this mailing
list. I was subscribed to this mailing list when I initially started
working on the documentation, but then I unsubscribed because the
messages to this mailing list weren't relevant for me. So that's why I
never knew about your offer to help, sorry. I'm a bit surprised though
that those people who gave you a link to the documentation in Abiword's
SVN didn't refer you to me.

Currently, the new documentation is written with Yelp in mind – the help
system of the GNOME desktop – and the idea is that the documentation for
Yelp can be converted to HTML or another file format and small
modifications to the contents are made to make the documentation
suitable for use on other Operating Systems. So using Unix/Linux to work
on the documentation would be preferred, all you need is a text editor
(for example gedit, which is included in GNOME) and Yelp (included in
GNOME).

In your e-mail you seem to imply that you think I speak for Abiword
project as a whole, but I feel more like an outsider to be honest. The
regular developers simply don't have time for writing the documentation,
so that's why I volunteered in 2007 to do it. If your offer for help
still stands, I hope you can help out. It would be a shame if all my
work would be left unfinished. You write that you are disappointed that
you didn't get any assistance in becoming a contributor, but please
understand that we all have the best intentions. If you need more
information, don't hesitate to send me an e-mail, I'll gladly help you.