Re: Google Summer of Code 2009

From: Martin Sevior <msevior_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat Mar 07 2009 - 03:01:38 CET

HI Kartik,
           It's very cool that you are getting a start on this years
GSoC program and are still interested in AbiWord.
Last year Robert Staudinger proposed writing a DOM wrapper around our
PieceTable and FV_View operations. Instead we encouraged him to
develop a Cairo-based graphics class, which we've now incorporated
into our mainline builds.

Upon reflection it appears that a DOM wrapper could be the easiest way
for a broad adoption of our abiwidget by 3rd party developers.

There is considerable interest in building web-based applications
based on Java-scripting browsers. It would be really useful if we
could somehow allow that type of scripting to be re-used in AbiWord. I
actually have not investigated at all how this works so it would be a
useful thing to get started on.
ie Do some research and tell us how this Javascripting works and how
it used in web-browsers.

Also we have a hurdle requirement for all prospective GSoC students.
Please build the TRUNK version of AbiWord and demonstrate you've made
a small change to the codebase as listed here.

http://www.abisource.com/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2009#Additional_Requirements

We were really impressed with xsun's enthusiasm last year, when he
submitted numerous patches to improve our latex exporter before the
GSoC started.

best regards,

Martin Sevior
Hi,

I am a prospective student applicant for this years Gsoc. Last year I
was a bit late and couldn't have enough interaction with abiword's
developers. Though I am new to Abiword's code base but I have good
Gtk+ knowledge along with good experience in C++ . I am interested in
the working on the idea suggested by Fabian and will like to start
interacting regarding this as soon as possible.

Regards
Kartik rustagi