Re: Google Summer of Code 2009

From: Martin Sevior <msevior_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Mar 08 2009 - 13:31:03 CET

Hi Karik,
           Thanks very much! It think it might rather straight-forward
to write some wrapper code to translate various methods we have for
manipulating our piecetable and make everything look like a DOM tree.
We already implement all the features of abiword as named attributes
and properties. In some cases the names actually match XHTML

To get started look at src/text/fmt/xp/fv_View.h

FV_View is the main clas we use to manipulate our underlying document object.

In particular see the methods

        bool FV_View::setSectionFormat(const gchar * properties[]);
        bool FV_View::getSectionFormat(const gchar *** properties);
        bool FV_View::setBlockFormat(const gchar * properties[]);
        bool FV_View::getBlockFormat(const gchar *** properties,bool
bExpandStyles=true);
        bool FV_View::getCharFormat(const gchar *** properties,bool
bExpandStyles=true);
        bool FV_View::getCharFormat(const gchar *** properties,bool
bExpandStyles, PT_DocPosition posStart);

Which set and return the properties of sections, paragraphs and text runs.

I guess the challenge will be to write a C++ object that behaves like
a DOM object. and maps onto our document manipulation methods.

To that end I guess we'd need to define the methods and data this DOM
object needs to implement.

Once we have the C++ object we can wrappers for python, C and other languages.