Re: Porting AbiWord for Windows to Unicode

From: Jordi Mas <jmas_at_softcatala.org>
Date: Fri Mar 20 2009 - 15:21:15 CET

Hello Folks,

>> 1. Is it a good idea to use Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition (Visual
>> C++ 2008), as I am familiar with it.
>
> You may use whatever IDE you like. Visual Studio works fine.
> Cross-compiling use mingw would probably work fine too.

I recommend that you have handly Visual Studio for debugging proposes.
It will save you many hours.

It would be common the case where a string is not properly encoded or
decoded to right charter set and a debugger will be valuable.

> We have no intention of maintaining both an "ANSI" and a "UNICODE"
> build of AbiWord. Most everyone is using WinXP or newer these days, so
> a UNICODE-only build should be good enough. Also, because AbiWord
> depends on Glib, we only run on WinNT-derived platforms. So even if
> you wanted to have support both the ANSI and UNICODE APIs, in practice
> only the UNICODE parts would ever be run.
>
> Jordi organized his code so that you could build either. Mostly, this
> uses ugly macros like TCHAR and macro'd functions. I'd prefer that any
> code submitted for this project use wchar_t and the "W" version of the
> Win32 APIs.

Back in early 2007 supporting legacy Windows 9x ANSI systems was still
an issue, nowadays can be completely ignored. This also will simplify
the porting, building and maintainer project.

Regards,

--
Jordi Mas i HernĂ ndez. Bloc: http://gent.softcatala.org/jmas/bloc/
Planet SoftcatalĂ  -> http://planeta.softcatala.org