Roadmap for AbiWord 3.0

From: J.M. Maurer <uwog_at_uwog.net>
Date: Mon Nov 16 2009 - 23:03:29 CET

Hi All,

After AbiWord 2.8 comes AbiWord 3.0 (let's skip 2.10, people will be
confused), which means we need to decide what to put in it.

Fridrich already committed some work towards a Windows 64 bit port, so
that will be in 3.0 to start.

Then we have some stuff lined up in branches that we need to decide upon
when to merge:

1. gsoc2009gettext - port abiword to gettext, making plugins localizable
2. gsoc2009unicode - make the Win32 port a true unicode application
3. gsoc2009tablelayout - improve (table layout) performance, includes
the new PieceTable.

My current thinking is that I'd love to see a 'quick' 3.0 release with
1) and 2) in it. This because they are very user visible features making
AbiWord useful to a big new group of people, and they are very unlikely
to destabilize AbiWord. This means just a short time of stabilizing
would be needed.

I'm very aware that 3) will have great benefits as well, but the
drawback is that it is very likely to introduce bugs that need to be
ironed out. As soon as we release 3.0, we could merge this branch as
well.

Comments? Better ideas?

  Marc