Re: Adding a new language in Abiword source code

From: Dominique Rochefort <issasamb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Nov 21 2010 - 11:28:31 CET

Hi Pradeeban,

I am aware of this procedure, since we did several previous
localizations of Abiword (Wolof and Mandinka) and got them into Abiword.
Here attached is the PO translation for Bamanankan, the main language of
Mali (bm-ML).
I would like to commit it into the Abiword trunk, if you can do it, that
would be great.

However, my question was more about knowing how to do it by myself,
since I am now learning to work with the source code.
That's why I would like to know what are the steps required to add a new
language to Abiword, compile it and have it listed as available
interface language in the menu "TOOLS -> PREFERENCES".

That's what I did so far :

1) Add my language to the file "abiword/src/af/util/xp/ut_Language.cpp"
and follow the procedure written in the Comment placed in there which
reads as follow :

// to add a new language:
// (1) check on this list it is not already there;
// (2) add it to the list in xap_String_Id.h
// (3) add it here, using the ID corresponding to the one
// from xap_String_Id.h

I did that, then compiled again (Rebuild all), and the language is still
not available in Abiword.

So what else do I have to do ?

If I was able to add and modify languages on my local build, it would be
more efficient for me to do my testing.
We are planning to introduce several new languages to Abiword over the
next year.
Also I would like to contribute on finishing the work to fully port
Abiword to Unicode on Windows.

Best regards,

Dominique

Le 2010-11-21 00:20, Kathiravelu Pradeeban a crit :