Re: not a bug, per se, just really annoying.

From: J.M. Maurer <uwog_at_uwog.net>
Date: Thu Nov 25 2010 - 23:18:40 CET

On Wed, 2010-11-24 at 20:55 -0500, Keith BOWES wrote:
> Je 2010-Nov-23 je 08:11, Martin Srebotnjak skribis:
> >
> > Slovenian spelling on Windows has problems for years.
> >

> Hmm. The AbiWord people should probably just stop shipping dictionaries
> in Windows build and make Windows users download recent dictionaries,
> like users of other systems have to do.

We don't ship any dictionaries in the installer on Windows, except for
the en_US one. Everything else is automatically downloaded if the user
selects other dictionaries. But mind that the only dictionaries the
AbiWord installer supports are really ancient ispell ones.

Now since we released AbiWord 2.8, we support the generic enchant
spelling library on Windows. So we are not tied to ispell anymore.

I'd like to propose we do the following:

Step 1: Figure out if we compiled support for OOo dictionaries in (the
hunspell enchant module).

Step 2: If we did not, then we should enable that.

Step 3: Drop all current ispell dictionaries, and replace them with
modern hunspell ones.

The problem is that I don't have the time to do that on my own. Once
hunspell support is enabled (I could do that), we need people to look
for the right dictionaries and package them all up in a format that the
installer can handle.

Is there any interest in helping out?

Cheers!
  Marc