Re: MSWrite plugin default codepage issue

From: Ingo Brückl <ib_at_wupperonline.de>
Date: Mon Aug 01 2011 - 14:30:49 CEST

Urmas wrote on Mon, 25 Jul 2011 05:18:12 +0700:

> 'Non-working version' of what?

r30046

> Also, why is the parameter 'mswrite-codepage' and not 'encoding' like in
> other similar plugins?

The importer arguments apparently get passed to all importers (at least that
is what I understand from looking at the sources), thus it seems to be a good
idea to distinguish what plugin is meant.

> Why the most common case when documents are in user's local codepage is not
> fixed?

Do you use AbiWord under Windows? If so, can you imagine that others use
AbiWord under different operating systems with different "local codepages"?

There is no such thing as a "local codepage" fitting the codepage an
arbitrary Write document may have been written in.

> Importer parameters can be specified only in batch conversions, not when
> opening a document in a standard way.

Hmmm, then I'm doing something wrong, because this patch works just fine as a
command line argument to AbiWord, translating all Write documents into the
given codepage when opening.

Calling "abiword -i mswrite-codepage:CP1251" opens all Write documents with
Cyrillic fonts even if there are no font substitutes and regardingless what
the local settings are.

Unless anyone points to a bug in the patch, I'll apply it shortly.

> Unless you provide some test cases when the using of user settings to
> select default codepage, I will be consider your actions as intentional
> sabotaging of a program functionality in interests of Western countries
> users minority.

No comment.

Ingo