Re: MSWrite plugin default codepage issue

From: Urmas <davian818_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Aug 03 2011 - 05:14:36 CEST

From: "Ingo Brückl" <ib@wupperonline.de>
Subject: Re: MSWrite plugin default codepage issue

>> The inability of users of marginal OS's with ~1% popularity to set it
>> correctly definitely is not a reason to negatively affect users of other
>> OS's, which can be easily set up accordingly to user-preferred language
>> setting, including codepage for legacy documents.
>
> I didn't speak of inability, but of a deliberate use. Not all users stay with
> the codepage and/or the OS they used in Write times.
>
> Common benefit (i.e. general usage) takes precedence over personal benefit.

I see no use case where the users have to convert documents from other regions on regular basis. If we talk about mass-conversion, there is batch conversion with explicitly set options.
As for "common benefit", the fact that 1% of computers in the world has no concept of 'legacy codepage', is not a reason not to use it on other 99%. Making the absolute majority of users to use strange workarounds and break their usual platform interaction paradigm (by opening a document without need to start application with specific command line parameters) when the correct result may be achieved in usual way in most cases, is a deliberate sign of disrespect.

You can make that part a Win32-specific code, but taunting our Win32 users under excuse of fantastic use cases or marginal operating system specifics is unacceptable.