i18n versus design choices

From: Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Jun 29 2011 - 16:20:35 CEST

Dear AbiWord devs,

I am looking at opportunities to suggest internationalization (i18n)
enhancements that would reduce the localization burden and/or result
in better translations for AbiWord (e.g. add developer's comments to
some strings).

One of the key questions in any such review is the extent to which
compromises between ease of localization (e.g. reducing string count)
and style-based design decisions will be considered.

Here is one specific example. In the Document Properties box, (see
screenshot attached) the strings are displayed with an appended colon
(a style choice). Many of these strings are also localized without
the colon.

1A po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:2494 Title
1B po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:2499 Title:
2A po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:2382 Subject
2B po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:2384 Subject:
3A po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:1905 Publisher
3B po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:1907 Publisher:
4A po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:2031 Rights
4B po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:2033 Rights:
5A po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:843 Coverage
5B po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:845 Coverage:
6A po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:801 Contributor
6B po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:803 Contributor(s):
7A po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:987 Description
7B po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:990 Description:
8A po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:1496 Keywords
8B po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:1498 Keywords:
9A po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:1509 Language
9B po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:1513 Language(s):
10A po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:2031 Rights
10B po/tmp/ap_String_Id.h.h:2033 Rights:

The specific question is whether the AbiWord development team is
willing to sacrifice a minor design element (the colon) that serves
little real purpose (the colon does not truly serve as a meaningful
text delimiter given the grey background and the white input box).
The benefit to the localizer is fewer string variations to translate.

This may see like a trivial example, but there are any number of other
such possible i18n refinements that could be considered and I am
willing to do the work to research and propose them, but only if I
know that they will be given a fair hearing and not just dismissed as
unacceptable compromises of cherished design elements. I do not
presume that every suggestion would be accepted, only that they would
be given due consideration in the context of improving the localizer's
contribution to AbiWord.

Please let me know if it is worth my time to seek and propose such changes.

cjl

Screenshot-Document_Properties.png