Re: Nice to meet you and let's work!

From: Fabiano Fidêncio <fabiano_at_fidencio.org>
Date: Thu Mar 17 2011 - 07:26:08 CET

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 3:51 AM, Xun Sun <xun.sun.cn@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Fabiano,
>
> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 10:05 AM, Fabiano Fidêncio <fabiano@fidencio.org> wrote:
>>
>> Howdy!
>>
>> Firstly, I'm Fabiano Fidêncio, a simple brazilian student that want
>> mix work and fun!
>> I appeared in the #abiword channel a week ago interested in one
>> possible GSoC's propose.
>> So, I talked, mainly, with Martin Sevior and I got to meet another
>> great guys in the channel. :-).
>>
>> Backing to my GSoC's propose. I'm interested on fix/improve OS X GUI.
>> What's my motivation? Simple, I'm a AbiWord user when I'm using Linux
>> and, in the last week, using Mac OS, I tried using AbiWord and I could
>> note that it's outdated when compared to Linux package. Okay. I got
>> the source from SVN, read the docs and wiki to build and ... docs and
>> wiki are outdated. With a bit of work I could build the latest SVN on
>> Mac and, now, I can use AbiWord here ... but not so much. AbiWord, for
>> now, is able to create and save documents, but can't open another any
>> document :-(
>>
>> So, after this, I really think that we can do a great work to improve
>> and sane AbiWord to run on OS X.
>>
>> Now, the most important reason of this mail.
>> Can I update docs (and wiki) info about how to build AbiWord on Mac?
>> Or is better if I postpone it and update only when AbiWord is running
>> without crashes?
>> In the first case, could someone give me access to edit Wiki? Can I
>> change the configure.ac to check for all compile dependencies of
>> AbiWord?
>
> Are you looking at 2.4.x source code? As in trunk we don't have configure.ac.

Nops. I'm looking to latest SVN.
Did you work on 2.4.x release from OS X?
Which is your nick on IRC and what's your timezone?

> Development activities (including GSoC projects) mostly happen in
> trunk (branches off trunk for GSoC projects). So I would encourage you
> to check out a copy of trunk and see what's missing there for a Mac
> release.

I did it. Compiled, and tomorrow I'll send one patch updating the docs.
After, someone (probably I) need to update configure to check all deps
and warn the user for any missed dep.

> If you feel anything needs to be modified in the source code, feel
> free to send a patch to this list. People would happily reivew it.

I'm doing it. Unfortunately, slowly yet.
Many thanks and nice to meet you :-)

Best Regards,

--
Fabiano Fidêncio