Re: [GSoC] Add hyphenation support

From: Martin Sevior <msevior_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 30 2011 - 03:08:04 CEST

Hi Gabriela,

Thanks very much for interest in AbiWord. The hyphernation support
would need to employ some GPL compatible code to determine the break
point for word based on the language and adjust our line breaking code
accordingly.

At present we break lines by adding up the widths of each word. When
the width exceeds the width of the line, word that "steps-over" the
end is moved onto the next line.

With hyphernation support, we would keep the part of the word that
still fits on the previous line there and move the rest onto the
start of the next line.

All this code is in the src/text/xp/fb_LinerBreaker.cpp

We would also need to adjust our code in
src/text/fmt/xp/fb_Alignment.cpp to take advantage of the hyphernation
support and do a better job at justification.