Re: [GSoC] "Implement support for svg snaphots for embedded objects" - Trying to understand the idea

From: Jean Bréfort <jean.brefort_at_normalesup.org>
Date: Wed Mar 30 2011 - 11:18:00 CEST

Currently, when the math plugin is not present, equations are rendered
as bitmaps (png). This is OK as long as you don't zoom and don't print.
The same is true for goffice components (gnumeric, gchempaint), even, if
I changed things a bit last year to use high resolution (300dpi)
bitmaps, so that printing becomes acceptable. SVG snapshots are better
in the sense that they generally need less disk space (at least if you
compare to high resolution bitmaps) and can zoom with almost no
restriction without quality loss. Of course, it is not feasible for all
embedded documents.

Maths still use 96dpi snapshots or so.

Abiword already supports svg rendering, so I suppose it would be an easy
task which might be coupled with something else.