Re: Fixed: one error (Abiword 2.9 development)

From: Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed May 25 2011 - 07:11:02 CEST

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 12:00 AM, Urmas <davian818@gmail.com> wrote:
> From: "Chris Leonard" <cjlhomeaddress@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Fixed: one error (Abiword 2.9 development)
>
>> I've offered to host copies of the AbiWord PO files on our Pootle
>> instance, but there was no reply to my post, the offer stands.
>>
> Of course you're free to do so. Just checkout the trunk or release branch, run "po/update.pl --pot", and put this pot file to desired location. But it's better to direct translators to http://www.abisource.com/contribute/translate/ as they will get files with actual strings automatically.

Urmas,

There was never a question thatt I had the right to do so, the
question is whether there is sufficient interest in the AbiWord L10n
community to make it worth the effort to do so.

I've been working to tie Sugar Labs into it's upstream L10n processes
more effectively. and AbiWord is one of those upstreams. The Write
activity in Sugar is a version of AbiWord that has been "Sugarized"
and AbiWord itself is included by default on the GNOME boot side of
OLPC dual-boot images,

As I stated in my first message, we've been pointing lcoalizers at the
upstream for some time:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Translation_Team/Pootle_Projects#AbiWord

However, as mentioned by Pjotr, one of the problems with AbiWord's
existing L10n workflow (download PO, e-mail to list) is that it does
not provide tools to simplify the localizers task (e.g. Pootle or
other tool that provides integral msgfmt checks). I've been working
on the AbiWord es_ES and es_MX PO files and the quality and level of
completion is not as high as one would like.

There are mutual advantages to Sugar Labs hosting the AbiWord PO files
as an enhanced collaborative environment, but only if it is an idea
that gains acceptance among the AbiWord L10n community. I obviously
see this as an idea worth advancing and would be willing to put in the
effort if it was of interest.

cjl
volunteer Sugar Labs / OLPC / eToys Pootle admin
http://translate.sugarlabs.org/