Re: Repeated submission of translation package

From: Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat May 28 2011 - 06:16:11 CEST

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:49 PM, Urmas <davian818@gmail.com> wrote:
> In Loonix, it's maintainer's task to conduct such minor updates. Taking translations from trunk, pruning them with stable template and generating strings from them can, and should, be done by maintainer.

It seems to me that Pjotr has made a simple request. For AbiWord devs
to commit his work to the versioned repo (2.8 po directory). Why is
there so much resistance to such a simple request?

I am not convinced that prudent downstreams would perform the work you
describe for fear of mangling the package being pulled. It seems far
more likely that a cautious downstream approach would be to consider
the versioned repo to be the sole and canonical source, making Pjotr's
request both reasonable and sensible.

In fact, in projects with hosted L10n solutions like Pootle, the PO
files are often not committed to the repo until string freeze just
prior to release, making your suggested workflow almost guaranteed to
fail at obtaining QA'ed L10n files.

Urmas, you may not realize it, but your replies have a dismissive tone
to them. AbiWord's reach and "market share" can be significantly
enhanced by treating your L10n community as full stakeholders in the
development process.

cjl