Re: Google Summer of Code Mentor Summit

From: Kathiravelu Pradeeban <kk.pradeeban_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Oct 23 2011 - 14:02:45 CEST

Ola Marc,

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 4:22 PM, J.M. Maurer <uwog@uwog.net> wrote:
> Ola!
>
>> I am attending the Google Summer of Code Mentor Summit this year from AbiWord.
>>
>> It will be a two day unconference hosted by Google (Oct 22nd and
>> 23rd), where representatives from the organizations which participated
>> in the Google Summer of Code gather to discuss about the event and the
>> projects.
>
> Did it go well? Do you have fun so far? Any interesting stuff you
> learned that AbiWord might benifit from?

Yeah, the first day went really well. Got the chance to meet many
folks from many organizations, and listen to their interesting and
crazy experiences.

2011 was the first year for many organizations in Google Summer of
Code, and they were impressed to hear the successful involvement of
AbiWord in Google Summer of Code.

I organized an unconference session on "Community matters!", and the
notes can be found in [1]. [You might need to be a GSoC mentor to be
able to access the session notes [2] or the wiki. I will blog about
the session/s later for the wider audience].

An interesting session on "Marketing and Spreading the word about the
project/community", followed that.

How localizers help to widen the user community was discussed. The
mentor from PostGreSQL mentioned that they have allowed independent
local user/dev communities to own the site in their languages (French,
Japanese, ..)

Social media engagement (twitter, facebook, dzone) to spread the word
of the community and project releases were discussed.

The other two sessions I attended were on Humanitarian FOSS and
Managing the GSoC's payment (which had a few controversial suggestions
followed by a healthy discussion, whether each student should be paid
equally, or based on their geographical location, or by the outcomes -
a final outcome of the discussion was to propose a reward for the
outstanding students - may be a GSoC Student Summit).

>> Thank you Martin, Marc, Jean, and Xun. I will share more information
>> on this, after the event (still we aren't given a schedule or hints
>> about the events/talks scheduled, since it is an unconference).
>
> /me hates waiting :P
>
> Have fun, and thanks for representing AbiWord!

Thank you Marc.

Awaiting the second day eagerly.

Regards,
Pradeeban.