Re: Versions and releases

From: Hub Figuière <hfiguiere_at_teaser.fr>
Date: Wed Oct 26 2011 - 18:40:23 CEST

On 11-10-26 5:16 AM, Ingo Brückl wrote:

>> Gtk3 is parallel installable with Gtk2. What's the problem with going
>> forward?
>
> If all my other applications run fine with GTK 2.x, why should I install
> GTK 3.0 just to be able to run AbiWord?

If AbiWord requires Gtk3 (it does not yet), then it is your call. You
either stick to an older version or you install what is required. It is
called "progress".
Now if you really want, you can maintain a Gtk2 only version. It if Free
Software. Use the source code.

> Currently, AbiWord runs fine with GTK 2.x and is a (relatively) small
> application with few (but unfortunately growing) dependencies. That's the
> reason why I and many other people are using it as their word processor
> rather than a monster like Open/LibreOffice.
>
> My point was that if there are changes necessary to make it run on GTK 3.0,
> do so with GTK_CHECK_VERSION() checks, and do so for new features (which
> GTK 2.x users won't benefit of), but don't unnecessarily cut existing and
> working GTK 2.x support.

You can checkout the code and see how it goes. The sure thing is that it
would be a compile time option.

Hub