Re: Versions and releases

From: Ingo Brückl <ib_at_wupperonline.de>
Date: Sun Oct 30 2011 - 19:16:13 CET

J.M. Maurer wrote on Sat, 29 Oct 2011 23:57:06 +0200:

>> > Jean merged his branch, so it does now.
>>
>> Without any new features in AbiWord and without any need we've cut off all
>> GTK 2.x users now.

> The problem with thing likes this is the lack of resources:

> We've got a working GTK3 'port' now, and someone willing to work on it.
> We have the option of not merging it, but in 2 years time when we *need*
> it, the branch would have bit-rotten beyond all hope of salvation.

> Is there any way we can help you out?

I endorse the GTK3 port and I agree that we need it, but I was suggesting to
introduce GTK3 by using GTK_CHECK_VERSION() for both the replaced and the
replacing parts which would have preserved the possibility to run AbiWord
with GTK2 as well. While I could have assisted in doing so for pure GTK
functions, I probably couldn't have done so for associated code changes.
Instead of having a discussion about that, the GTK3 branch got merged all of
a sudden which made me feel that it should create a fait accompli and stop
the discussion.

Why do we throw away working code without necessity? Why do we offend people
who like AbiWord for being a small application with small dependencies
running on small machines? That simply doesn't make any sense to me.

I know it would be hard to correct after the merge now and it certainly can't
be done without Jean's help, but if there's a genuine intention I offer
assistance.

Ingo