Re: Updates on RDF in abiword

From: Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Sep 09 2011 - 04:16:52 CEST

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Ben Martin
<monkeyiq@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>  I have added a new "rdf" directory to my test suite on github which
> contains a number of tests to verify the RDF system;
> https://github.com/monkeyiq/odf-2011-track-changes-tests/blob/master/rdf/RDF.pm
>
> This uses a little bit of Perl and Expect to control AbiCommand from the
> suite;
> https://github.com/monkeyiq/odf-2011-track-changes-tests/blob/master/abicommand.pl
> While expect is a little bit of overkill at current, most of the tests
> just acsend() a command and acmatch(regex) to verify the results are /
> aren't as expected. Using the wrappers does add a little too, for
> example acsend() ensures that OK is received from AbiCommand before
> returning, so a test will fail if the command itself is unhappy
> irrespective of if it gives the desired output. On the plus side, the
> perl expect module brings it's nice timeout handling etc and allows for
> more complex interactions in the future.

I'm curious if this is going to substantially change the footprint of
the dependencies for AbiWord. The folks at OLPC are always struggling
to avoid including all of PERL in their images (which include AbiWord
on the GNOME side fo the dual-boot) because of the extreme size
constraints of the earlier model XO laptops (1GB total storage), and I
wonder what new deps this change in AbiWord is going ot pull in.
AbiWord should do what it needs to do to add new features and
functions, but I would like to make the OLPC folks aware of any big
changes in footprint that they might see down the road as early as
possible so, if necessary, alternatives can be explored.

cjl