Re: Normal and web mode

From: Kathiravelu Pradeeban <kk.pradeeban_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Apr 03 2012 - 05:23:59 CEST

Hi Simon, Martin, and others,

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 7:33 AM, Martin Sevior <msevior@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI everyone,
>
> I added the code prevent text boxes being inserted unless in print
> view mode. There will almost certainly be issues for placing them
> during Normal and web mode.

I did a quick round of smoke testing around the text box in those two
modes before committing the patch, and found it was working fine.
Hence I felt, this might have been disabled a long time back, when
there were issues in the text box, which is no longer valid. So after
the discussion over the irc, I committed this patch directly.

> Lets revert the patch until we work out what the issues are. Simon has
> been doing a lot of great work with text boxes recently, may the bugs
> we worked around have been fixed.

+1.
This has been reverted in the revision 30759.

> Cheers
>
> Martin
>
> On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Simon Larochelle
> <larochelle.simon.1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Pradeeban and Aaditya,
>>
>> I saw your patch concerning the text box menu not active in Normal and
>> Web modes (revision 30755). As the lines you removed were unlikely to
>> be a bug, I looked back in the SVN to find when they were added. That
>> code was added in revision 17660 and there is a thread in the mailing
>> list in November 2005 that discusses these changes. Two things:
>>
>> 1) We need to discuss what we want for the Normal and Web modes before
>> making these changes.
>> 2) If we decide to restore the text box functionalities, we also need
>> to undo other changes made in revision 17660 (for example, the text
>> box context menu is deactivated).
>>
>> Since text box made in Print mode are still visible in Normal mode, I
>> agree with you that it should be possible to draw a new text box in
>> Normal mode so I would keep your patch and also undo other changes in
>> revision 17660.

I am +1 for the text box in all the modes. Nevertheless, we should
probably look into those cases separately, than reverting those
commits, I too feel.

>> As an aside, I noticed that in web mode the document layout is very
>> similar to print mode with the web page effectively divided in pages
>> of the normal size only with no margin visible. So for example there
>> can be some extra space between paragraphs if only the first line of a
>> paragraph would fit on a virtual page, page breaks cause some odd size
>> space and setting a large distance between two paragraphs may be
>> preempted by the division of the document in virtual pages. Should we
>> instead have a continuous layout totally independent of the print page
>> parameters? Note that this requires a significant amount of changes in
>> fb_ColumnBreaker and I don't think that this is something we should do
>> prior the release of Abiword 3.0.

+1 for the change. And yes, we should better take these into
consideration after 3.0.
Thanks for the discussion around this.

>> Regards,
>>
>> Simon