Re: Runtime vs compile time (was: Re: ib - r30903 - abiword/trunk/plugins/wmf)

From: Ingo Brückl <ib_at_wupperonline.de>
Date: Mon Apr 30 2012 - 22:35:15 CEST

Hubert Figuière wrote on Mon, 30 Apr 2012 13:13:52 -0700:

>>> This is probably as bad. Because you again assume a runtime condition at
>>> compile time. And this is not good at all.
>>
>> I don't assume, I request.

> Potato vs potato.
> Seriously?

Yes. It is disabled by default, so there will be no change to what we're
having so far. Only if you explicitly give this option, something will
change.

> Fonts are NOT libraries. Fonts can be uninstalled or installed at will.
> Font substitution is a complex problem.

It sure is, but there may be no Symbol (which AbiWord assumes and requests)
available as well. Is that a problem? We assume that there is Symbol (or
fontconfig will find us a substitute which may be suitable or not). Now you
can configure to use Standard Symbols L (which may be available or fontconfig
will find us a substitute which may be suitable or not). That doesn't worsen
anything, does it? (It does indeed improve things for people having Standard
Symbols L.)

Ingo