Re: Slowdown caused by RDF

From: Ben Martin <monkeyiq_at_users.sourceforge.net>
Date: Tue Oct 02 2012 - 15:47:40 CEST

On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 12:56 -0400, Simon Larochelle wrote:
> The new RDF code adds a function to ap_Toolbar_Functions.cpp:
> ap_ToolbarGetState_CursorInSemItem. This function is called all the
> time to update the toolbar state and it is called even when RDF is not
> used. The function is really slow for big files; it scales linearly
> with the cursor position after an initial calculation which scales
> quadratically with the cursor position. The initial calculation seems
> to be triggered every time the cursor is moved with the mouse. I think
> that this function needs to be removed or at the very least modified
> so that it does not affect people who do not use RDF. Note: I have no
> idea how important it is for RDF that this calculation be done
> continuously.
>
> Simon

Hi,
  I should change that to only backtrack to the start of the page. This
isn't really a hack because one could always use RDF to give abiword
metadata to backtrack further for start tags that reference RDF.

  Unfortunately I've had a bunch of personal things come up which have
kept me from improving on the RDF support that is already in abiword.
I'm very sorry if my inability to contribute has caused other abiword
developers issues in the meantime.

  As a fix for this issue should be fairly simple, I might try to
contribute it shortly.