Re: About strings and localization

From: Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Sep 06 2012 - 20:27:55 CEST

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Ingo Brückl <ib@wupperonline.de> wrote:

> Chris Leonard wrote on Thu, 6 Sep 2012 13:38:16 -0400:
>
>> I will update the POT on Poolte,
>
> Just to be sure: You know that you have to run a script in the repository in
> order to get an up-to-date .pot file?
>
> Ingo

Yes, I run

svn up

followed by

./update.pl --pot ( while in the ../abiword/po dir)

Then I upload the POT to Pootle after making the whitespace character
complete in the template (otherwise it needs to be redone after the
"Update from Templates" process). I also adjust the POT header to
include:

"Project-Id-Version: AbiWord 2.9\n"
"Report-Msgid-Bugs-To: abiword-dev@abisource.com\n"

At some point in the future I would like to revisit working on
automating the POT update process (on the Pootle side) with a cron
job. We have scripts that do this for all of our git based projects,
I just need to adjust it for an SVN-based project\ and I may need some
help with that.

This would go hand-in-hand with allowing direct commits to SVN by
people with language admin privs on Pootle. The one element of this
that you may not care for personally is that automating this process
requires that developers refrain from making direct commits to the PO
directory (like your German L10n updates) as this causes a loss of
synchronization that requires manual correction. If you could be
convinced to make your lang-de contributions via Poolte after the
switch, then there should be no issues with setting things up to
disintermediate my role in committing.

cjl