Re: about two bugs related with Tables

From: Simon Larochelle <larochelle.simon.1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Apr 11 2013 - 04:41:53 CEST

Well bug 8707 is not really fixed. There is a big mess hidden behind
these two bugs. The basic issue is that we select a table by defining
two endpoints: the anchor and the current cursor position. Both of
these points need to be valid cursor positions in the piece table
(that is positions in the piece table where text could be inserted).
Now to select an object (a table, a cell, a frame ...), we should have
as endpoints the beginning and the end of the object (for example the
fragment PTX_SectionTable and the fragment PTX_EndTable). This does
not work because these endpoints are not valid cursor positions. So we
use instead the nearest valid cursor positions, which causes a series
of little bugs (for example if the table is at the beginning of the
header, the endpoint at the beginning of the table is actually before
the start of the header in the main section. That's the origin of bug
8984).

A fix would be to use our multiple selection framework to select
objects (the selection endpoints and the cursor are different in this
selection mode, so we could use any point in the piece table as
selection endpoints). However, the multiple selection framework is
only partially implemented (that's the cause of the bugs seen when
applying text formatting commands on a column). Fully implementing
this feature will require revising every function in FV_View. So
fixing these bugs is a big project.

Simon