GSOC 2013 - Project Idea - Table Improvements

From: Shivam H Prasad <shivamh71_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Apr 21 2013 - 22:43:39 CEST

Hi,

I have been using abiword for quite a time now and have noticed a
considerable number of table features missing in abiword. This is why
I would like to improve the table functionality as a part of my GSOC
project.

The problems that I would like to solve are :-
1. Every time we copy and paste entire table the data in top left
corner is lost so this needs to be fixed.
2. I could not find any functionality for applying basic maths formula
on columns or rows in the table. This functionality is available in MS
word but not in abiword.
3. If I select an entire table and would like to copy this entire data
into another table which is of exactly same dimensions as this one
then technically user should select entire table copy it, select the
target table which is to be overwritten and then paste. But this gives
rise to nested tables. While some users may want the facility of
nested tables but this is irritating for users who simply want to copy
one table on other. So I would like to include this functionality
where user can choose whether he wishes nested tables or he simply
wishes to overwrite one table with other.

I need suggestions as to how should I plan my work flow in order to
achieve these targets and are my ideas well within the scope of a GSOC
project?