Re: Hello everyone, I am glad to join Abiword

From: Vidh <vidhu2366_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Mar 22 2013 - 10:02:09 CET

Hi Joe,

I am Vidhoon. I also started working on Abiword very recently.
Welcome & glad to know you.

Last what I heard, many possible mentors and key developers are very
busy at the moment.

Let me tell you how I kick started myself with Abiword.

-> As you mentioned it is a good idea to have a build setup for
Abiword where you can put traces, make small changes and test how it
is taking effect

-> I recommend building on "Debug mode". This gives lot of traces that
give a general (vague maybe) idea of various things that happen when
we open an abiword document. This is an important step because this
part of the Abiword GSOC 2013 wiki requires us to try this step for
applying:
http://www.abisource.com/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2013#Additional_Requirements

-> Coming to bugzilla part, I am not sure of the exact procedure. I am
also currently working on a bug. So I can tell you the steps I
followed.
 1)First, choose a bug using the search option in bugzilla (make sure
u notice component and platform options).
2)I was asked to prefer bugs on "trunk" or else check if existing bugs
are reproducible on trunk. If they are not you have leave your comment
that it is either reproducible or not on trunk.
3) Then, I first tried to look into the code and find relevant areas
of code. If I am able to understand the problem at code level, then I
assigned the bug to myself and started working on it.
4) After getting a fix patch worked out, upload on bugzilla. In my
case, Simon tested my fix patch and reported his observations.

Nobody raised concerns on these steps that I followed to take up
working on a bug. So I assume you can follow the same routine.

-> Coming to your project interest, (table improvements) I found here
that there may be other people who have already worked on it during
previous GSOCs.
http://www.abisource.com/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2013#Table_improvements
May be you can get in touch with them, understand the latest status
and get started on that using their documentation or something.

hope this information helps.
I can respond and help on queries related to the info I have given
here whenever I have email access.

Best of luck!
cheers!

--