Status to the Lasem branch (GSoC 2013)

From: Jean Bréfort <jean.brefort_at_normalesup.org>
Date: Wed Feb 26 2014 - 14:55:52 CET

Hi all,

Since last summer I have polished some of the features Abhishek an
myself introduced during last summer, and extensively tested the new
equation back-end. The main points are:
- The Lasem based back-end is stable (and fixes the reported bugs about
wrong or missing glyphs we have in buzilla), the equations are rendered
using the current font, including the color. Something that is missing
in our code currently is the support for inline display. Only block
display is available after an equation edition (we do support inline
display when the mathml code is loaded from a file, but it is lost after
editing). Should we support both? If yes we need to add a boolean since
the itex code we store does not uses $$ or \[\].

- The MathML to itex works, but as also needed it elsewhere, I rewrote
it and moved to goffice (will be in next release, i.e. 0.10.12 and I'll
wait that release before committing anything to abiword, and at this
time I'll drop the goffice-bits code as already discussed and request
that recent goffice version).

- The "Advanced Equation Editor" (Gtk only) is not usable. My plans are
to write an equation editor widget in goffice (it already exists
actually, but with minimal features) with the following:
* a character table (Abhishek already worked on that, so I can copy his
code, it needs much love before being really useful).
* a preview in the dialog box so that we can see what we do without
inserting in the main window.
* some auto completion, at least add the missing braces so that itex2mml
returns something useful.
The current goffice version is analogous to our current editor (it just
have a check box to switch between inline and block display).

Cheers,
Jean