AbiWord 3.next release plans

From: Hubert Figuière <hfiguiere_at_teaser.fr>
Date: Fri Nov 13 2015 - 04:30:52 CET

After AbiWord 3.0.2, we can start think of 3.next.

1. It would be 3.1. Stop the madness of even / odd version and
development version. It is a bit mad to release directly but then we
have already been hit by Debian (and derivatives) shipping 2.9.x for a
long time - with all its bugs. So what the heck.

2. Not sure when it could be released, but aiming at Q1 2016 would be
possible.

3. What would it have?

Currently lots of fixes, code cleanup. I'm working on a testsuite to
help with all of that ; what has been done is all in trunk already. I
have a queue of patches that I have accumulated that I want to test too
before applying in trunk.
Other outstanding stuff already in trunk:
-Gtk 2 will no longer be supported. Gtk 3.4 will be required.
-A rewritten ABW exporter.

Candidate:

- Bug 12862 - Word count live. I have it in a branch, with extra fixes.
Still need to evaluate the performance impact.

Proposal:

-I'd like to deprecate the collab plugin: for AbiCollab, we don't have
the server. For the other protocol, we can't maintain them. Deprecation
would go by only allowing explicitely building it. I already had to
disable the code based on GNUtls api breakage.

It is not a lot but we aren't a lot of contributors to begin with.

Hub