Some Nifty Ideas (Possibly a Manifesto)

MOORE, PAUL (mp0383@mail.wesley.edu)
Thu, 3 Dec 1998 16:34:20 -0500

Hi guys,
I just joined the list yesterday, so I'm pretty new to this. I
haven't even has the time to download and install it (finals week), so some
ideas may have already been addressed and some may be new. I'm not a
programmer, but I do have (what I think) are some good ideas that would make
Abi office the best in the land. I work in the IT department here at Wesley
college in Dover, so I home to bring ideas to the table from a network
integration point of view. We are currently switching from NT$ workstations
and servers to Linux and Solaris. The major problem with that is most of the
students are dos/windows babies and the older students are almost computer
Illiterate. So I believe usability and integration are the key factors for
the success of Abi office.
Right now I use StarOffice5 at home, and I loath it! It has some
good features and some ideas, but it is so damn slow. The thing I really
like about Star is you can do a full installation on a server and a minimal
install in the home directories. The problem with that is if you have an
Alpha server you can not run it on x86 workstations. Star also tries to
replace the desktop with it's 'all-in-one' design. I also HATE the fact that
Star does not have import filters for Word Perfect (right now the entire
campus uses WP Suite 8 for WINx)
So I am on the eternal search for the perfect office package for
Linux. From what I understand Corel is only going to port WP8 and not the
entire suite. Enter Abi. Some developers like do things completely different
that others do. I think that a successful application does not necessarily
depend on original ideas, but on the best way of doing things. Some other
applications might have a good way of handling a problem or task. I think
development teams need to focus on the best way of providing solutions to
problems instead of inventing new ones just for the sake of being original.
If someone else has a better idea, why not use it? I have seen many linux
programs gone horribly wrong, just because the programmer wanted to distance
himself as far from Microsoft as possible. It pains me to say this, M$ does
have some good ideas about ways of doing things. Just because M$ has an idea
about a solution doesn't mean it is a bad one, (it just means that it
probably won't work).

I believe that an office suite should not just be tools to print to
paper in a structured way. An office suite should collaborate and
effectively communicate ideas between users. Some others have seen ways of
doing this, they seen to fall short of the goal

What would be nice is to have the ability to do a full install an
the server and a minimal install on the workstations. The problem is if a
network has an Alpha applications server and i386 workstations. What if a
common shell script started the application? It could then determine the
architecture it was running on and load the appropriate libs (or possibly a
hardware dependant version of the app) for the architecture. That way it
could be installed on any server and run on any workstation.
The main things that I believe it should take advantage of are full
integration into gnome (specifically GMC), GDK Mozilla, and support for
other server services (such as M$ Exchange). This is where I think that M$
office became so popular in the corporate world, because Exchange has some
nice mail features that procmail doesn't even touch (although our Exchange
server is down three times a month (that's another letter entirely)). I
think a replacement for procmail is in order because the only thing it
really does is move local mail. It would be nice if Abi developed a
replacement for procmail (and a supporting mail client that is native to the
suite) that lets users communicate more effectively.
Drag n' drop should be the same standard on every platform!
Unfortunately it is not so. Abi should use the Dnd that GMC uses; GDK
Mozilla uses a different dnd standard, but since it is open source we can
change it to suit our needs. The virtual fs that GMC uses is quite handy so
it would be nice if Abi used the same vfs, since Mozilla has no ftp client.
Abi should use GDK Mozilla because Mozilla is the Unix standard browser and
it's open source. I like how WPSuite 8 for WINx used Communicator but
changed the mail and news clients, though I didn't find them as useful as
they could be. I also think that Abi Word should be able to be used as an
HTML writer and frame set maker. Not just to use as a page maker, but
because HTML and RTF mail is kind of nice. And why not a web-site manager?
If you include a page builder why not a site manager? Also how about an irc
client that supports a whiteboard?

A personal database is cool, but it would be nice to see an actual
database client that could query and display data base servers like Oracle,
any SQL, Informix and the like. We use this horrible called Tolemac which
takes care of student grades class schedules and other things like that. The
main problem is that it is written in basic, runs on dos, is super slow,
inaccurate, and has many printer problems.

Support for True Type Fonts!!!!!!!!!!! hopefully no needed
explanation.

You also have to take into account of the idiot factor. As I said
before many of the students are born-and-bred windows users. They tend to
panic when they cant find c: and they sure as hell don't know how to mount a
floppy. I think an interface should by default be usable by the laymen, with
the extra options found under advanced menus, extra toolbars or a
configuration module. The help system should also be easy to use for the
user and administrator; more and more IT departments are switching from NT$
to linux but are inhibited by the lack of readily documented specific help.
I also think that the help system should use the gnome help browser.

Some other features not found anywhere.
I am also a student here at Wesley and I have has to write many
research papers. The toughest part about writing a research paper is
documenting sources (anybody else who has written one knows the anguish of
documenting sources). Many hours have I spent searching and searching
through countless English books looking for the correct way to reference a
source. It would be wonderful if word processors had a citation/bibliography
wizard/builder that covered MLA and APA formats. Another thing that would be
nice is an actual dictionary, not a list of English words but an actual
dictionary. Of course a thesaurus and search commands are needed.

Voice dictation would be nice, but I would rather see a standard
Voice Recognition shell that would emulate keystrokes. If there is one it
would be nice to use but not necessary.

OK that's it from me. I hope you take into account what I have said, and
thanks for reading the entire thing.