Status of Unix Printing

Brian E.W. Wood (beww@intac.com)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 23:32:56 -0500 (EST)

I'm just wondering about the current status of Unix printing. On my Linux
(Alpha) machine I get the following results:

A short line like "this is a test" prints OK, although the font spacing is a
little wide.

A two-line message in a large font (like 36-point) prints as if the paper were
much wider (ie: the rightmost characters are off the page).

A two-line message in 12-point type gets garbled in the middle, looks like
characters over-writing each other.

I seem to recall reading here something about the current printing using
ghostscript. I have gs installed but do not use it because I have a postscript
printer. I can't remember if the ref to gs was for Unix or Win though.

If Unix printing is using gs, is there some way I can control and/or fix up the
printing?

As I've said in the past, printing is the only thing preventing me from
actually being able to use AbiWord.

Anyway, just curious about the current status.

---
Brian E.W. Wood  beww@intac.com