Display Fonts on Solaris 2.7

Shaw Terwilliger (sterwill@postman.abisource.com)
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 02:11:05 -0500

> Can you tell me why my font face and font family changes do not show up in the
> document, while they print fine? Everyting looks like plain Courier (point size
> does display) onscreen, but Arial, Times, Bold, italic, etc. don't show up.

> I am running this on Solaris 2.7 SPARC, but it seem like it used to display
> properly. anyway, thanks.

Sorry this reply took so long; our mail servers have been going through
some maintenance and although the mailing list got archived that day,
I seem to have missed the delivery of your message.

To be honest, I really don't know why the X server shipped with Solaris
2.7 (or is it "Solaris 7" now?) won't display our Type1 fonts in AbiWord.
It seems to be a genuine problem on our part, and not with the way the
fonts are installed. Programs like xlsfonts and xfontsel can find and
will display our fonts, although the font descriptor strings we use for
installation don't exactly match the vendor settings in some of the other
faces. xfontsel doesn't seem to think this is a problem.

I'll take a good look at this tomorrow. I did a quick look through all
of Sun's on-line help and found nothing about X/OpenWin font problems,
but I suspect I'm just not looking in the right places.

We do have a Solaris 2.7 machine in the office for testing and development,
and I'll spend a few hours with it tomorrow.

--
Shaw Terwilliger