New BeOS Software Library

Ulrich Scholz (dugs@wanderer.gun.de)
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 02:00:51 +0200

Hello !

A few weeks ago we began to set up a local BeUserGroup. As soon
as we started discussing available software, it became obvious,
that nobody was really happy with present outlets.

Three of us then sat down together to work on an idea with the
joint aim of providing users a library with an extensive infor-
mation system and giving developers a simple and easy way to make
their work available.

While working on the idea we checked out over 1000 archives on
the internet, concerning their licensing clauses regarding their
distribution.

Several archives contained no clauses regarding distribution, many
were subject to the GPL, some require the author's consent and
others simply, that the author wants to be informed.

Now you may be asking yourself:

"Okay, but what have I got to do with that ?"

In the end we decided to ask for every archive whether it would be
possible for us to include and offer it or whether we should just
include a link to an URL.

This request is, therefore, for your program/archive:

AbiSuite_074_r4x86

You are probably curious to know more about our project.

Well, the first public presentation of the project will be at the
BeGeistert 003 gathering which is taking place on October, 9th, in
Frankfurt, Germany, in connection with the BeDC.

Perhaps you would like to present yourself and your work?

Back to the subject:

We will set up a freely accessible web and ftp site, where it will
be possible to find desired programs quickly.

We will set up an information system that not only informs users
continously about new contributed archives, but will also use the
superb possiblities of the BeOS to manage these informations on
their own computer.

There will be tools, making it not only easier for users to manage
informations effectively, but also reduce work of developers when
they publish.

As in Europe, especially in Germany and England, the costs for
using the internet are still very high, we are also considering
using CDs for distribution.

We want to release a new CD every 600 MB. Of course, the CD will
be easy to use under the BeOS and not only a hotchpotch of archives.

In addition we offer the possible to order a "snapshot" of every-
thing that has been released since the last full CD.

We will offer both variations of the CDs as "nice-price" CDs,
costing max. $10 / EUR 10 / DM 20 plus post & packing.

We would very much appreciate it, if you would agree, that we in-
clude the archive(s) mentioned above (and possibly updates) and
what conditions you would attach to this.

Thanks in advance for your time and trouble...
scholly

ps: I hope my English was understandable, even if its not my
mother tongue...