Re: ISO latin-2 input and czech menu labels

Subject: Re: ISO latin-2 input and czech menu labels
From: Jeff Hostetler (jeff@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Dec 07 1999 - 09:25:02 CST

[this is primarily to Zbynek Miksa <xmiksa@informatics.muni.cz>,
but my mailer can't seem to relay it, so i'll route it thru the list...]

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Zbynek Miksa wrote:

> I tried to make fix to insert ISO latin 2 characters (tested with czech).
> So here i post asmall fix that work. I have also translated menu labels
> to czech.

i'm in the process of applying this patch (sorry for the delay)
and i'm wondering what's happening here. the essence of
the patch is the following in the unix keypress event handler:

> if ((e->keyval>255) && (e->keyval<512))
> e->keyval=(e->keyval)-256;

to me, this looks like it would map any latin-2 chars onto
latin-1 -- the hardway. if we are doing unicode internally,
this just doesn't seem right.

is it the case that you have a Latin-2 font that is similarly
folded ??

If you look at the .abw document in emacs or vi, does the
text (between the xml markup) look correct??

could you send me you keyboard mapping, so that i can
see what you're seeing ?
        xmodmap -pke

thanks
jeff

ps. i'm applying the Czech menu strings that you sent,
but i'll need the other set of strings (see abi/user/wp/string/*.strings)
before everything will look right -- thanks.