RE: Word importer oddities

Subject: RE: Word importer oddities
From: Paul Rohr (paul@abisource.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 11:10:16 CST

At 11:59 AM 12/14/99 -0000, Caolan McNamara wrote:
>Lemme see now, this is a complex format document with two seperate sections
>the first line has default tab stops, and the second line has manually
>inserted tab stops, On the second line there are 9 tab stops as reported by
>both word (click on the line and go to format tabs) and wv. Both wv and word
>agree on their placement which includes two insane ones of -1.3 and -1.06
>inches, so that bit is working correctly.

Agreed. If a user sets something insane via Format Tabs, then that's what
we should show (and handle) too.

>The first line does not have any manually inserted tabs, some checking shows
>me that the following is how it works.
>
>You have the tabstop array in the PAP which only lists manually inserted
>tabstops. If there are none in it, or I assume if you tab after the end
>of the last explictly set tab, then you go forword the amount of space that
>is listed in the *DOP* structure, ie ps->dop.dxaTab.

Good. This should correspond to the ways we use the default-tab-interval
property. (For example, see the light gray ticks on the lower edge of the
ruler for various mixes of tabs.)

>There are other goodies in the DOP, including an extra flag whether to
>enable or disable widow control throughout the document (something for
>the widow code methinks). Which reminds me that the page information is
stored
>in the SEP, which in theory I suppose (though I have never seen it) means
that
>the paper size can change inside a document ?

Yep. The Word UI will let you change the paper size on a per-section basis,
which allows you to have both the envelope and the letter in the same
document (or something like that).

Paul