Re: Some advice please..

Subject: Re: Some advice please..
From: Martin Sevior (msevior@mccubbin.ph.unimelb.edu.au)
Date: Tue Dec 21 1999 - 23:48:04 CST

> This patch sounds pretty cool, especially the proportional line width
> patch. Are you using a simple ratio for line thickness (say 1pt line
> for every 12pt text) or maybe something a little smarter? I have
> honestly not thought much about this task, but the feature is something
> I've wanted for a while.

The formula I'm using is:

1 + UT_MAX(10,getAscent() - 10)/8

This seems to make the line thickness grow at about the right rate. I
guess I should put the 10 and 8 into a header file so they don't appear as
magic numbers. Certainly they can be tweaked and I could put in put a ^2
squared term for finer control but I don't think it would be neccessary.
Perhaps the line thickness could be a preference that would overide the
the default proportional code?

Another time perhaps..

> gr_Win32Graphics.cpp seems to have the proper methods for setting
> the line thickness, BeOS has that function, and that you've done the
> GTK version means only PostScript output needs that capability. Luckily
> I have the PostScript Red Book right here...
>
> setlinewidth
> Usage: <num> setlinewidth
>
> sets the line width parameter in the graphics state to num.
>
> I've just done and committed the work for xap_UnixPSGraphics.cpp to emit
> the new setlinewidth call, and updated drawLine() to call this, like
> the other contexts.
>
> If you do a "cvs update" on your tree, and re-build, variable width
> lines in PostScript output should magically appear.

Fantastic! Thanks very much.I've been working off the 0.7.7 tarball so
I'll have to work a little to patch my change into the CVS source.

Cheers!

Martin Sevior