Abiword on Solaris

Drazen Kacar (dave@srce.hr)
Sun, 3 Jan 1999 04:25:15 +0100

Hi,

I just tried to compile Abiword 0.3.1 on Solaris 2.6 with GTK+ 1.1.11 and
failed. Before I try to convince it to compile, could someone tell me if
it was supposed to compile? Or I need an older version of GTK?

In case there's problem with AbiWord, here's the error from gcc:

Building with [JavaScript:Off Debug:On].
ev_UnixToolbar.cpp:
ev_UnixToolbar.cpp: In method `unsigned char EV_UnixToolbar::synthesize()':
ev_UnixToolbar.cpp:213: warning: implicit declaration of function `int gtk_toolbar_set_button_relief(...)'
ev_UnixToolbar.cpp:213: `GTK_RELIEF_NONE' undeclared (first use this function)
ev_UnixToolbar.cpp:213: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
ev_UnixToolbar.cpp:213: for each function it appears in.)
ev_UnixToolbar.cpp:409: warning: implicit declaration of function `int gtk_container_set_border_width(...)'

GTK was built with Sun's cc, but AbiWord (for some obscure reason :-)
preffered gcc so I let it have its way. Development software usually does
not build properly in combinations like this. GTK had errors in buid, but
I corrected those and left warnings intact, because there were too many.

BSD compatible install on Solaris is /usr/ucb/install and AbiWord's make
couldn't find it. You should probably correct this.

I wanted to check before I write a request, but since AbiWord didn't
compile, here goes:
I live in Latin 2 world and I need Latin 2 fonts. So I have some of those.
I definitely want my word processor to use them. StarWriter, for example,
ignores them completely. From the application's point of view they differ
from Latin 1 fonts in encoding only, ie. *-iso8859-1 vs. *-iso8859-2.
In the font selection box StarWriter presents only font names derived from
the first and the second field in XLFD and there is no way to select encoding.
There is a work around for this (if you are admin on everything you use),
but it feels like installing Windoze 3.11 on top of Unix, so I ditched Star
completely. Besides, I would probably need Cray to run it on a remote
display. On both sides. :-)

Anyway, if there isn't already, there should be font encoding menu somewhere
in AbiWord. Lyx got it right.

--
 .-.   .-.    Life is a sexually transmitted disease.