Re: BeOs

Thomas Fletcher (thomasf@qnx.com)
Fri, 8 Jan 1999 08:22:55 -0500

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Shaw Terwilliger wrote:

> Someone asked a question very similar to:
> "Will there be a BeOS port of AbiWord?"
>
> If anyone wants to take up a native implementation of the project,
> that would be great. However, I do believe that for those seeking
> instant gratifaction, GTK will build and run on BeOS, using an
> X server for display. This would enable quick checking of the
> back-end of our code, if the BeOS port wishes to use BSD Unix-like
> semantics for file I/O, etc., while allowing work on the functionality
> in the GUI. This won't be a completely painless road, since there
> will be some util/ porting going on. Of course a real port would
> use the native BeOS API for display, file I/O, etc. Just
> something for the interim.
>
> But I suspect an X server, GTK+, and EGCS would at least get
> AbiWord running and usable.

Never mind that. If people are interested I'd be willing
to help with work on getting a native version of AbiWord
up and running for BeOS. It would be much more satisfying
(and probably a better use of time) than fiddling around w/ X
under BeOS. How coupled is the interface to GTK? I know
that there is a mention on the web page that there is
interest is getting a version working using Qt. I would
hope that that would mean that the interface coupling is
clean allowing someone to write their own native interface
functions.

Thomas

Thomas (toe-mah) Fletcher QNX Software Systems
thomasf@qnx.com Neutrino Development Group
(613)-591-0931 http://www.qnx.com/~thomasf